Today is the second College Park Day. Along with a bunch of volunteers, I hope to be at the College Park Community Center early in the morning. I will have to hang some 60 beautifully done school posters inside the walls of the center’s gym. I also plan to be at the reception / information booth in the afternoon.
Before this year’s College Park Day becomes history at the end of the day, here are a few things to remember. This is an event created to celebrate the city’s diverse populations, arts, culture, and history. And this is largely a volunteer effort aims to foster a greater sense of community among city residents and highlight the people, businesses, and community groups that call the city home.
The event will start from 1:00 and end at 5:00 p.m. (rain or shine) at the College Park Community Center, located at 5051 and 5101 Pierce Avenue in College Park.
Free parking and shuttle available at 5240 Paint Branch Parkway, the former location of the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant. Free shuttles also available at Stamp Student Union and the College Park Metro station.
In case you’re not convinced yet to attend the event, here are the top 10 reasons you may want to consider..
- Over 50 Community Organizations!!!!
- See 60 nicely done “My Home, My community” posters by our school children (grades 1 to 6)
- Local Food Vendors! Two food carts from DC will be there as well.
- PG County Police Bomb Squad Robot Demonstrations!
- Fun and entertainment for the families and, specially for the Kids!! There will be a moon bounce, an inflatable jungle gym, and more!
- Green Living Seminars!! Local orgs & businesses, will be on hand to help you and yours go green.
- A Climbing Wall! The Ntnl Guard is bringing a climbing wall—and some info on how it keeps us safe!
- Cupcakes! Come indulge your sweet tooth and try a cupcake from Curbside Cupcakes!
- The Maryland Flying Wizard Turtles will be giving Quidditch demonstrations!
- Air Force ROTC Drill Team, Making Moves Dance Collective, 93 Buick, and much more. See you on 10/22!
More info available at www.collegeparkday.org. Also please check this Patch article
See you all today!