This morning, the Prince George’s County Council elected District 1 Council Member Tom Dernoga as the Chair of the County Council for the 2023 Legislative Year.
County Council District 1 includes the City of College Park.
This will be Councilman Dernoga’s third time serving as Chair of the County Council, having served as Council Chair in 2006 and 2010. He also served as Vice Chair of the Council in 2005 and 2009. Council Member Dernoga’s tenure on the Council has been noted for his leadership on environmental, historical and agricultural preservation issues and smart growth.
Council Member Dernoga also announced the following members of his leadership team:
- Vice Chair Wala Blegay, Council District 6, will Chair the General Assembly (GA) Committee.
- Eric Olson, Council District 3, will Chair the Transportation, Infrastructure, Energy & Environment (TIEE) Committee.
- Jolene Ivey, Council District 5, will Chair the Planning, Housing & Economic Development (PHED) Committee.
- Krystal Oriadha, Council District 7, will Chair the Health, Human Services & Public Safety (HSPS) Committee.
- Ed Burroughs, Council District 8, will Chair the Government Operations & Fiscal Policy (GOFP) Committee.