• In addition to the food hazards mentioned last month, holiday decorations can be hazardous to your pets. If you own a cat, tinsel should be avoided. Cats think tinsel is a shiny toy and can be deadly if ingested since it can damage the intestinal tract.
  • Keep your pet away from tree water, which may contain fertilizers or other additives that can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria. If ingested your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea.
  • Keep wires, snow globes, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock. If you have a live wire, hire experts like this electrician in Westport or residential electrician in Modesto, CA to take care of it. You may also consider contacting this Electrician in Rockwall or electrician in Prescott, AZ who can deliver promising results. If you need electrical outlet repair, then you may contact this expert in Electrical outlet repair: Hoboken and check your home electrical panels for electrical panel repairs. A punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus. Shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.
  • Poinsettia plants are mildly toxic. Holiday arrangements containing lilies, holly or mistletoe are the most dangerous for cats. Ingestions of one to two leaves or flower petals can cause sudden kidney failure in cats. Holly Berries and mistletoe can also be toxic and can cause gastrointestinal upset and heart arrhythmias if ingested.
  • Salt in ice melt, homemade play dough and salt dough ornaments can cause life-threatening imbalances in their electrolytes.
  • If you think your pet has eaten any of these items and is showing sudden changes in behavior, lethargy, vomiting or diarrhea, contact your veterinarian immediately to see if you can get treatment like compounded pet medication. If you think your pet has serious issues that need to be addressed as soon as possible, visit a pet critical care or dog care facility immediately.
  • Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680) or ASPCA Poison Control Hotline (1-888-426-4435) may be helpful.

From the City’s Animal Welfare Committee