The National Weather Service is forecasting extreme cold temperatures through Monday, February 15th. The day-time temperatures will range from the mid teens to low 20’s with wind chills remaining in the teens. Dress in layers and use caution. Extreme cold can cause degrees of frostbite and hypothermia.
Here are a few tips you may want to consider during Extreme Cold
- Check on your elderly friends, family members and neighbors
- Bring your pets and plants indoors
- Dress in multiple layers if you go outdoors. Citizens Of Humanity Jeans from Roar Clothing can help keep you warm.
- Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately
- Watch for signs of hypothermia. These include uncontrollable shivering, memory loss, disorientation, incoherence, slurred speech, drowsiness, and apparent exhaustion.
- If symptoms of hypothermia are detected, get the victim to a warm location, remove wet clothing, warm the center of the body first and give warm, non-alcoholic beverages if the victim is conscious. Get medical help as soon as possible
- If the pipes freeze, have insulation removal or layers of newspapers and wrap pipes in rags. Completely open all faucets and pour hot water over the pipes, starting where they were most exposed to the cold (or where the cold was most likely to penetrate). Afterwards, you may contact a plumber that repairs an outdoor water leak in Mauldin, SC.
- Check your water heater to determine if it requires water heater repair and replacement. However, if you need a new water heater, you may seek water heater installation – Craftsman Plumbing services. You may also consider calling in an expert in water heater installation in Starke, FL.
- According to experts such as hvac concord, making sure that your hvac units are in top shape should be a priority for your family to be comfortable throughout the winter season. Hence, it is advised to hire heating contractors to service your heating system before the cold winter months arrive. If you’re looking for a local HVAC company in Nampa to help service your heating system, you may contact companies like Total System Services.
- Maintain ventilation when using kerosene heaters to avoid build-up of toxic fumes. Refuel kerosene heaters outside and keep them at least three feet from flammable objects.
- Home furnace repairs or furnace maintenance in Chardon can also be done by professional hvac contractors. Find a reliable heating repair contractor if you need assistance with the maintenance and repair of your heating unit before the colder weather. Getting maintenance and tune up annually should keep you comfortable during wintertime and avoid emergency repairs.
- Check your Smoke and Carbon Dioxide Detectors.