We attended the second and the final fiscal year 2017 budget worksession this past Saturday. The new budget will have a few items specifically assigned to north College Park residents. They include:
- A pedestrian crossing (RRFB) signal on Rhode Island Avenue (potentially at the Indian / Fox intersection)
- oney for the construction of the streetscape project at the Hollywood commercial district
- Funds for beautification and additional streetlights
- Two community bulletin boards, one at the end of Lackawanna street near the Metro, and another elsewhere in our district
- Additional funds for our senior programs based in Youth and Family Services building on Nantucket Road and
- Funds for the Duvall Field renovation and reconstruction project.
Additionally, we’ve put aside some funds for a Police Services evaluation and feasibility study.
The FY17 budget ordinance is expected to be introduced on Monday, March 25. The budget public hearing will take place on Tuesday, May 10. The Mayor and Council are scheduled to adopt the FY 2017 budget ordinance on Tuesday, May 24. The effective date of the FY 2017 adopted budget is July 1, 2016.
Also, please do not forget to attend our Budget Town Hall meeting on Friday, April 29 at 7:00 pm at the Youth and Family Services building at 4912 Nantucket Road. It’s important that we hear from you about how we should be spending your tax dollars in the coming fiscal year.