A tax-aide foundation offers free, individualized tax preparation for low-to-moderate-income taxpayers – especially those 50 and older – at nearly 5,000 locations nationwide.
Before visiting a Tax-Aide site, please note: You will need to bring your important documents to the site.

Previous year’s tax return(s).
Social Security cards and/or ITIN notices/cards or other official documentation that show the taxpayer-identification numbers for taxpayers-identification return.
Government-issued photo ID for each taxpayer.
Checking or savings account information if you want to direct deposit any refund(s) or direct debit any amounts due.
Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) (for each individual if applicable).
W-2 for each employer.
1099-G form for unemployment compensation or state/local income tax refunds.
SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits form.
1099 forms (or other statements) reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV) and/or proceeds from sales (1099-B), plus documentation showing the original purchase prices if you sold stocks or other assets like if you did indices trading.
1099-R form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution.
1099-MISC, 1099-K, or other 1099 forms. If you have a business, bring a summary list of all your income (cash and non-cash) and all business-related expenses.
Information about any other income of any form including cash or other than cash.
Payments Records of any federal and/or state and/or local income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments) if not shown on income documents.

Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions.

If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. If so, bring the following information:

1098 form showing home mortgage interest.

A summary list of medical/dental/vision expenses including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums, prescription medicines, assisted living services, long-term insurance and bills for medical-related home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities.
Summary of cash and noncash contributions to charity.
Property tax bills paid during the year (frequently shown on mortgage statement).
Health Insurance
1095-A forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange).
1095-B/1095-C forms (optional).
Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable).

Dependent care provider information – name, address, telephone number, and employer ID or Social Security number and the amount paid to the provider.
1098-T form for education expenses plus a statement of account from the educational institution showing tuition and fees paid and scholarships, grants, etc. received. Also, bring a summary of any other education expenses.
1098-E form for student loan interest.

If you have any additional questions about California estate tax, you may contact a professional lawyer for help.