City’s Public Works facility (9217 51st Avenue) will be open for City residents the second and third Saturdays in October, 10/10 and 10/17, from 7:30 a.m. until 12:00 noon ONLY to drop-off bulky trash, electronics and molded/block Styrofoam® for recycling, brush, and yard waste.
Electronics that may be recycled include, but are not limited to: TVs, computers, monitors, keyboards, mice, speakers, VCRs, CD, DVD & MP3 players, cell phones & PDAs, printers, scanners, fax machines, telephones, radios, stereos, electric tools, game systems, handheld games, microwaves, and cords/cables.
Number 6 expanded polystyrene foam, commonly known as Styrofoam®, cannot be contaminated with tape, stickers, food, or other impurities. Additionally, Public Works can only accept molded foam such as blocks used in packaging – no food or beverage containers or packing peanuts.
Hazardous materials will not be accepted (shingles, propane tanks, paint, etc.). Air conditioners, heat pumps, dehumidifiers, refrigerators, and freezers may incur a disposal fee; tires will incur a disposal fee of $4.00 each.
Public Works will also be working with several non-profits again this year to divert items from the landfill that are still in good condition. All donations are tax deductable. Clean out your homes, garages, and sheds, and bring the items you no longer use or need and donate them for reuse.
The following types of items will be collected separately so they may be reused:
Building, remodeling, and gardening materials – any surplus or salvaged (in GOOD condition) items from your latest home or garden improvement job, including but not limited to: bricks and pavers, plumbing and gas and light fixtures, tiles and flooring material, cabinets, doors, gardening supplies, and tools.
Clothing and household items – cookware, dishes, books, linens, games such as panda head, toys, clothes, shoes, and intact furniture items (NO upholstered furniture or mattresses/box springs).
Remember – you MUST be a resident of the City of College Park AND bring proof of City residency in order to participate. Call or email Public Works with questions or for more information (240-487-3590;
Please let me know if you have any questions!