The City of College Park continues to prepare for and monitor the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak. The City is following Centers for Disease Control and state and county health departments guidance to ensure we are aware of the latest information and recommended action for our area.
As of March 12, 2020 there are 12 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Maryland, including four in Prince George’s County. The CDC recommends that the general public continue to practice everyday actions (like washing hands often and staying home if sick) to prevent illness. For a full list of those actions, please visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus.
Many City services like ticket payments, permits, applications, scheduling of special trash collections, ordering of compost, and more can be done via our website (www.collegeparkmd.gov) or via phone (240-487-3500). We encourage our residents to utilize those resources prior to visiting any City facility.
To help reduce the risk of transmission, the CDC has recommended social distancing measures including reducing activities particularly for those with increased risk of several illness. On March 12, 2020, Governor Larry Hogan issued an executive order prohibiting all events of more than 250 people. The safety of our residents and staff are our foremost concern. We regret to announce the cancellation of the following events, activities and services:
- Census Palooza (March 21);
- Brunch with Bunny (March 28);
- Spring Egg Hunt (April 4);
- Lakeland STARs tutoring program until further notice;
- Hispanic Parent Support Group Meetings until further notice;
- Youth & Family Services therapist-led school groups until further notice;
- Strategic Plan Community Meetings postponed to a later date;
- Rental of City facilities and use of City facilities for community meetings until further notice;
- Monthly City Board and Committee Meetings for the next 30 days or until further notice;
- Notary services until further notice;
- Department of Youth, Family & Senior Services client meetings/sessions until further notice; and
- Seniors Program Weekly Social Activities, Events and Trips until further notice.
As of now, the following services and activities will continue and not be disrupted:
- Mayor and Council meetings;
- Police patrols and emergency response;
- Regular refuse, recycling and special trash collections;
- Seniors Transportation Services for essential trips;
- Code compliance and inspections;
- Parking enforcement; and
- Department of Public Works April Cleanup Saturdays.
As the situation continues to evolve, the City will continue to update the public as necessary. Please visit the City’s website (www.collegeparkmd.gov), sign up for the City’s emails (www.collegeparkmd.gov/
cpconnect) and follow the City’s Facebook (www.fb.com/collegeparkmd) and Twitter (@collegepark_md) for the latest and most up-to-date City news and information.
The City would like to remind residents to only share accurate information from the CDC, state or county health departments to reduce misinformation. For the latest and most accurate information about this evolving situation, visit the CDC, state and county health department websites: