College Park's trusted source for daily news and updates since 2009

Category: Plans

Finalizing the Five‐Year Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) of City’s 2021 – 2025 Strategic Plan

As part of the continued discussion of the development of a new five-year strategic plan, the City Council held several four-hour sessions with PBI, the City Manager, and the Assistant City Manager to develop five-year Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for the new strategic plan.

The following OKRs below reflect the Council discussion on November 2, 2020, and additional information provided by City staff and the consultants. Please note that the total number of Key Results is high for an organization and it may be helpful to reduce them. Additionally, Councilmembers have expressed some concerns with Objective 9 and with measuring certain Key Results within that Objective.

The City Council will discuss and finalize these objectives at this week’s Council meetings.

OKR#1
Innovate and improve City services to enhance quality, value, and accessibility for all our residents.
1. 10% increase in the positive ratings of quality of overall customer service by College Park employees (70% to 80%)
2. 18% increase in positive ratings of the City government is responsive to residents and businesses (62% to 80%)
3. 80% of positive ratings on the overall quality of City services
4. 0 statistically significant differences between positive ratings of the value of services for the taxes paid to the City of CP govt by race/ethnicity
5. 23% increase in positive ratings of the overall direction that the City government is taking (47% to 70%)
6. 90% positive ratings on City Services being available and accessible when needed
7. 90% positive ratings on City Services being available and accessible to those who have a
disability

OKR#2
Celebrate our history and diversity to highlight our unique character and build on the strengths of our community.
1. 12% increase in the positive ratings of openness and acceptance of the community toward people of diverse backgrounds (78% to 90%)
2. 16% increase in the positive ratings of opportunities to attend cultural activities (54% to 70%)
3. 26% increase in the positive ratings of the City treating all residents fairly (add context) (59% to 85%)
4. 0 statistically significant differences in positive ratings on treating all residents fairly by different race/ethnicities
5. 65% of residents feel College Park history is recognized and celebrated
6. 85% of each College Park committee is racially/ethnically representative of the population of College Park
7. 65% positive ratings that College Park is addressing systemic racism within the City

OKR#3
Preserve and enrich our environment and natural beauty to attract people and sustain our City’s future.
1. 14% increase in the positive ratings of the quality of the overall natural environment (61% to 75%)
2. 21% increase in the positive ratings of overall appearance (49% to 70%)
3. 10% decrease in City‐wide greenhouse gas emissions (486,277 MTCO2e in 2018 to 437,649 MTC02e in 2025)
4. 10% decrease in tons of household and bulk refuse collected by the City (5,056 tons in FY20 to 4,550 tons in 2025)
5. 10% increase in tons of curbside and miscellaneous recycling collected by the City (1,392 tons in FY20 to 1,253 in 2025)
6. 2% increase in the tree canopy coverage (from 38% in 2018 to 40% in 2025) Note: the estimated coverage was 44% in 2009 and 40% in 2014.

OKR#4
Enhance the safety and quality of enforcement to advance our reputation as a safe City.
1. 12% increase in the positive ratings of the overall feeling of safety (63% to 75%)
2. 9% decrease in negative ratings of crime as a problem in your neighborhood (19% to 10%)
3. 26% increase in positive ratings of quality of the City’s code enforcement (39% to 65%)
4. 27% increase in positive ratings of quality of the City’s traffic enforcement (38% to 65%)
5. 20% decrease in the overall crime rate (21.06 to 16.85 per 1,000 residents)
6. 14% increase in feeling safe as a pedestrian in the City (61% to 75%)
7. 10% increase in feeling safe as a bicyclist in the City (43% to 53%)
8. 0 statistically significant differences across races/ethnicities on overall feelings of safety in the City
9. 0 statistically significant differences by race/ethnicity on overall interaction and experience with law enforcement in College Park
10. 85% of all College Park contracted police officers are representative of the racial/ethnic demographics of College Park

OKR#5
Plan and facilitate strategic economic development and smart growth to support a variety of businesses that can thrive and serve the diverse needs of our community.
1. 19% increase in the positive ratings of overall quality of new development (56% to 75%)
2. 26% increase in the positive ratings of quality of economic development (49% to 75%)
3. 75% positive rating of the City government effectively planning economic development
4. 75% positive ratings of overall satisfaction with shopping, dining, and entertainment options in the City
5. 15% increase in the number of independent small businesses (X to Y)
6. 15% increase in the assessed value of taxable real property in the City ($2,567.2 billion in 2019 to $2,952.3 billion in 2025)
7. Achieve a bond rating of AAA by 2025
8. 10% increase in dollars received from hotel/motel tax (from estimated $1.0 million in FY20 to $1.1 million in FY25) note: FY18 was $1.2 and FY19 was $1.4 million

OKR#6
Inspire and nurture a welcoming and inclusive community that encourages and embodies engagement, collaboration, and equity throughout our City.
1. 19% increase in the positive rating of sense of community (41% to 60%)
2. 15% increase in positive rating of welcoming resident involvement in government (45% to 60%)
3. 0 statistically significant differences between ethnic group ratings of welcoming resident involvement in government
4. 16% increase in positive ratings of opportunities to participate in community matters (59% to 75%)
5. 10% increase in engagement with City’s website (63% to 73%)
6. 16% increase in engagement with City’s social media sites (34% to 50%)
7. 0 statistically significant differences by race/ethnicity in positive ratings on the overall confidence in the City’s government
8. Resident participation in Council and public meetings is 100% representative of the City’s racial/ethnic demographics
9. Resident participation in City events is 100% representative of the City’s racial/ethnic demographics

OKR#7
Expand and promote alternative transportation approaches to build a more interconnected and accessible City for all.
1. 13% increase in positive ratings of ease of walking (62% to 75%)
2. 19% increase in positive ratings of ease of bicycle travel (56% to 75%)
3. 20% increase in positive ratings of ease of travel by public transportation in (55% to 75%)
4. 13% increase in positive ratings of ease of travel by car (42% to 55%)
5. 100% of City streets meet a quality standard of level 5 or lower (maintain current standard)
6. 10% decrease in the total daily car trips on Baltimore Ave originating in College Park (X to Y)
7. 5,000 linear feet of additional sidewalks
8. 15,000 linear feet of additional bike lanes
9. College Park’s average Walk Score across Districts is X (average of the middle address of each neighborhood)
10. 10 % decrease in usage of cars for commuting to work (from 46% to 36%)

OKR#8
Foster and sustain an affordable and stable City for individuals and families to live, work, play, and retire here.
1. 7% increase of owner‐occupied housing (68% to 75%)
2. 16% increase of non‐student residents who plan to remain in College Park for the next 5 years (59% to 75%)
3. % of UMD Alumni living in College Park
4. 9% increase in positive ratings of Cost of living in College Park (41% to 50%)
5. 20% increase in positive ratings of “The value of services for the taxes paid to the City of College Park (51% to 71%)
6. 15% increase of positive ratings of College Park as a place to retire (35% to 50%)
7. 10% increase in the number of residents who work and live in College Park
8. 13% increase in positive ratings of overall quality of life (62% to 75%)
9. 0 statistically significant differences on a variety of housing options by income levels
10. 60% of positive ratings of overall satisfaction on the availability of entertainment and recreational options

OKR#9
Advocate for improving the quality of education and learning opportunities for our residents and the community’s future.
1. 18% increase in positive ratings on public K‐12 education (32% to 50%)
2. An additional $80,000 of funding provided for education
3. 0 statistically significant differences in the ratio of incoming‐to‐graduating College Park high school students based on race/ethnicity Note: need to confirm we can obtain data
4. 75% of positive ratings of learning opportunities available in College Park
5. 5% increase in high school graduation rate at schools serving College Park residents from (X to Y)
6. 70% of positive ratings on the public “My high school graduate was prepared for life after high school (college, vocational, career)”
7. X% awareness of learning opportunities available from UMD (Need target not increase ‐ new)
8. X% participation in learning opportunities in CP (Need target not increase ‐ new)
9. Each school that serves College Park residents increases by 1 ranking
10. 50% increase of parent membership in PTAs serving CP students (X to Y)

OKR#10
Cultivate an empowered and collaborative organizational culture that is high‐performing, values employees, and is known for excellence.
1. % increase in cross‐department projects (X to Y)
2. % increase in employees indicating they feel valued by the organization (X to Y)
3. % increase in projects completed within 90 days of their estimated completion date (X to Y)
4. % increase in the number of employees indicating they feel empowered by their manager (X to Y)
5. 90% of supervisors feel their direct reports have the skills and knowledge needed to excel in their roles
6. 90% of employees feel they have the skills and knowledge needed to excel in their roles
7. 90% of employees feel that their manager has the leadership skills and knowledge needed to excel in their role
8. 85% of employees feel that the organization’s culture matches the City’s core values
9. 95% of elected officials feel that the culture of the elected body matches the City’s core values
10. 85% of all College Park staff are racially/ethnically representative of the population of College Park
11. 85% of employees and Elected Officials feel that Elected officials operate within the boundaries of their role to serve the residents
12. City uses local govt/ ICMA best practices to continuously innovate 1. # of processes improved or innovated
13. Complete a Succession Plan
14. Achieve % of Strategic Plan

In Next Five Years, Residents Want Sensible Development, More Amenities

Last week, the Council received a presentation about College Park’s new five-year strategic plan for fiscal years 2021-2025. The City’s current five-year strategic plan (for FY 2015-2020) is ending, and the Mayor and Council wish to develop a new five-year strategic plan. City Council secured a consultant Performance Breakthroughs, Inc. (PBI) to help develop City’s next five year strategic plan.

At last week’s meeting, the PBI presented their analysis and synthesis of a dozen small group meetings with residents and more than 200 survey responses regarding the City’s future. This information will help the Council begin to develop the framework for the 2021 to 2025 strategic plan.

Overall, Community responses can be summarised as follows:

You can see the presentation here:

The recording of the August 19 Strategic Plan presentation is available here.

One of the recurring themes of the survey includes the current pace of development in College Park. Residents have identified “Over-development” as one of the top weaknesses in College Park. Residents also think “Non-mindful development impacting the quality of life” will be a top challenge and threat for the next five years.

The City Council budgeted $33,000 in its FY2020 budget for the consulting services in gathering data from residents and stakeholders as part of the 2020-2025 Strategic Plan.

The community’s view in the presentation can be found on page 18. Major highlights of the findings include

  • The Community cares mostly about (a) Green Spaces, (b) Accessibility, (c) University Relationship, (d) Atmosphere & Community
  • The Community sees as least desirable aspects: (a) Development – too much, too fast, (b) Increase in Traffic, (c) University over Residents feeling, (d) Resource Allocation & Transparency
  • The Community wants (a) Easy Access to Places they Visit (b) Plenty of Entertainment & Shopping (c) Connection & Collaboration
  • The Community would like to continue to improve on: (a) Accessibility & Connectivity (b) Atmosphere and Quality of Life (c) Environment & Sustainability (d) Atmosphere & Community (e) Safety
  • The Community foresees: (a) Non-mindful development impacting QOL (b) College Park becoming unaffordable in housing/taxes. (c) Inability to create a stable base community year-round (d) Financial problems for all as a result of COVID
  • The Community feels College Park has the opportunity to: (a) Create a truly Symbiotic Relationship with UMD (b) Increase the Events and Amenities (c) Flourish in Green Spaces
  • Overall (a) Residents want to know, participate, and interact (b) Showcasing all the different uniqueness of CP to build community (c) Stakeholders feel the relationship is good and growing
  • The Community envisions the future of CP with: (a) A community that cares about all. (b) Mobility across the City (c) Keeping a Small-Town feel with Smart Growth (d) Environmentally sustainable
  • The Community feels that Public Safety and Transportation are most important, And Community Experience & Environmental Sustainability are next
  • City Staff think that College Park is a great place to work because: (a) Contribution of the work (b) People you work with Family-feel that is flexible and stable. College Park could improve upon: (a) Collaboration & Alignment between Departments (b) Continue to grow in services and resources – esp. tech. (c) Continue to identify roles & authority where needed

PBI will work with the Council and City staff over the next several months to develop the plan, and there will be numerous opportunities for additional public input prior to Council adopting a new plan.

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén