There have been several assistance programs for residents Residents Struggling with Water Bills, House Payments, rental evictions.

Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)

You may qualify for a new state program if you are behind on your water or sewer bill. The MD Department of Human Services, Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a water assistance program that provides funds to assist low-income households to pay water/sewer bills that are 30 days or more past due.

LIHWAP Information: An eligible household can receive between $100 – $2,000 in assistance. Renters, homeowners and residents of public housing can apply in-person or online at:

Prince George’s County Department of Social Services Office, 301.909.6300, 425 Brightseat Road, Landover, MD 20785

Online via the Maryland Department of Human Services/OHEP website, here, 800.332.6347. Applications are available in both English/Spanish.

Click here for more details.

Additionally, WSSC will run the month of June, provides bill credits and 100 percent of late payment charges and turn-on fees waived for customers who qualify. During June, WSSC Water will temporarily suspend residential water service turnoffs to encourage program participation. As of late March, nearly 87,000 accounts are past due, totaling nearly $57 million – the vast majority of which are residential customers. To learn more about WSSC Water’s Get Current program and to sign up to be notified when it launches on June 1,visit Information on other customer assistance programs can be found at

Prince George’s County and Montgomery County have each received an additional $1 million in water bill assistance.

Maryland Homeowner Assistance Fund

The Maryland Homeowner Assistance Fund provides homeowners with financial assistance for mortgage payments or other housing costs, including WSSC Water bills due to COVID-19 impacts. The program is administered by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development.

Program Information is available here.

To find out if you’re eligible for assistance from the MD HAF
Monitor the progress of your application by going to and logging in. Users must first register for an account.

Facing Rental Eviction?

If you are facing eviction due to delinquent rent and have a court summons, court judgment, Warrant of Restitution, or Warrant for Possession, you may be eligible for the Prince George’s County Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP).

For assistance, call the ERAP Hotline at (301) 883-6504, then press 9, and a customer service representative will help you.

Or e-mail your contact information and one of the documents listed above to: (Include the eviction date in the Subject Line if an eviction is scheduled.)

If you’re eligible for assistance, ERAP can pay up to 18 months of late rent or provide funding to help you relocate.

Note: The Emergency Rental Assistance Program has not re-opened. Funding is available for eligible renters with a pending eviction.

Requirements to be eligible to apply for emergency assistance:

The renter must be scheduled by the Sheriff for eviction, or there must be an active Warrant for Possession that would allow the Sheriff to evict, or the renter received a court summons or court judgment.
Rental property located in Prince George’s County.
Prince George’s County residents faced financial hardship arising because of or during the COVID-19 public health crisis.

More information is available here.

[Source: CM Dernoga’s Office]