Following the frequent and prolonged power failures in recent days, the Maryland public service arranged two public hearings for Pepco’s MD customers.
The first of these two hearing was held in Rockville last Monday at 6pm for Pepco customers living in Montgoemry county. The hearing lasted until past midnight. Residents waited as 24 elected officials spoke first, consuming about two hours of the more than six-hour hearing.
For the past two years, Pepco has been in the bottom 50 percent or 25 percent nationwide of utilities in terms of service interruptions, said William Gausman, the utility’s senior vice president for asset management and planning, during a hearing earlier this month before the Public Service Commission in Baltimore.
About 200 people filled the Montgomery County Council chamber, some shaking their heads in frustration as tales of the severe outages in the wealthy community were recounted.
The second hearingwill be held at 6 p.m. tonight at the Hallam Theatre at Prince George’s Community College on Largo Road in Largo.
“This is your chance to give them the facts. Attend if you can — or send us your story if you can’t, and we’ll put it in the record. Maryland Public Service Commission’s public hearing for Prince Georgians on PEPCO’s power failures.” -said 21st District Delegation, which includes Senator Jim Rosapepe, Delegate Barbara Frush, Delegate Joseline Peña-Melnyk and Delegate Ben Barnes.
Individuals will be able to sign up in person one-half hour before the hearing begins. In order to ensure that everyone will be able to speak, the PSC requests that oral comments be limited to less than 5 minutes.
To do the damage control, on Friday, Pepco officials unveiled a website that customers can visit to monitor work progress and details of its reliability enhancement program. The website — http://www.pepco.com/energy/reliability/— will list work areas, status of the projects and timelines.