KabirCares.org

Holiday Survival Guide to Keep Pets Safe

The holidays are here and we need to be careful not to share certain food and goodies with our pets. Foods and goodies that can cause discomfort and illness for our pets include: wrapped gifts containing food; chocolate (all types); baked goods containing grapes, raisins and currents; food and candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol; bread dough; fruit cake; alcohol; turkey and turkey skin; table scraps including gravy and meat fat; any foods containing avocados, onions and garlic.

Holiday decorations are to be enjoyed by all but can be tempting toys for our pets. Tinsel, wires on lights, batteries, snow globes, glass or plastic ornaments need to be kept out of reach. Certain plants such as poinsettias, lilies, holly, Christmas cactus and mistletoe berries can be toxic if eaten by our pets. Tree preservatives and stagnant tree water is also off limits.

If you think your pet has eaten any of these items and is showing sudden changes in behavior, depression, vomiting or diarrhea, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680) or ASPCA Poison Control Hotline (1-888-426-4435) may be helpful.

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today)

Comments are closed.