I was driving on Rhode Island Avenue yesterday afternoon, when I saw fire trucks rushing to Laguna Street (east of Rhode Island Avenue). I followed them and later found that it was one of my neighbor’s home that caught fire.
Fortunately, the family was safe. The fire damaged some areas around the attic / roof area of the house and was believed to be caused by the heating furnace. Due to the recent waves of cold weather hitting our area, this neighbor turned on the heating for the first time this afternoon.
My thanks to BHVFD and CPFD for doing a great job in getting the fire under control.
In case you have a gas furnace in your house, here are a few safety tips you can follow to prevent fires due to furnace heating.
- Keep the area around your furnace clean and unobstructed.
- Keep the burner area of your furnace clean.
- Furnaces that require lubrication on the motors and bearings should be attended to by a qualified heating technician once a year.
- Do not have anything combustible within six inches of your vent pipe.
- Do not close off more than 20% of the registers in your house. This can cause high resistance and unnecessary heat build up in the furnace.
- Do not store combustible material such as paint thinners, gasoline, etc. near your furnace.